Practical information

Status message


I. Your student Visa

If you are not a citizen from the EU/EEA; you must apply for a student visa at your local French consulate in your country and pass through Campus France. French consulates are required to take into consideration general factors:

  • The applicant's academic background, with priority given to applicants prepared to enter a master's or doctoral program.
  • The applicant's level of preparation
  • The institutional framework of the applicant's international study plan
  • Language proficiency
  • The authenticity of the documentation produced by the applicant (such as diplomas and grade reports)
  • Evidence of sufficient financial resources.

It is highly recommended that students who intend on studying in France contact their nearest Consulate of France or Campus France office, at least three months prior to their desired departure date. Please also note that the time required to process a visa varies depending on the student’s country of origin.

Atelier Chardon Savard will help you in all the visa processes and try to facilitate as much as possible all the procedures. 

II. Your Bank Account

If you are staying in France for more than three months, you are allowed to open a resident bank account.To open a resident bank account in euros, the following documents are essential:

•    Your passport
•    Your residence permit
•    Proof of residence (telephone or electricity bill, rent receipt, certificate residence, etc.)

You must deposit a minimum amount of 15 euros, and your account will be open within 48 hours.

III. Your telephone line

How to obtain a cellular phone

There are two main options when purchasing a cellular phone:
•    The purchase of a cellular phone operated by a card (on sale in telephone stores)
•    A twelve month to two year contract with a monthly fee for two, three or more hours of communication per month.
Choose the option that corresponds best to your needs. If you receive more calls than you make, buying a card operated cellular phone may be your best solution. If you make a lot of calls all over France, pay for a certain number of hours.

IV. Your accommodation


With your student visa, you have a right to a state subsidy called APL, which will help pay a small part of your rent. You must have a minimum of nine square meters per person or sixteen square meters for two people. The housing subsidy is given each year to about 500,000 young people and students, French and foreign, regardless of their type of housing (room in a residence, dormitory, apartment, etc.). The amount of the subsidy varies from 90 euros to 150 euros per month, depending upon your income, the amount of rent and the size of the apartment. To obtain the APL subsidy, you must go the “Centre de Gestion des Allocations Familiales (CAF)” in the neighborhood where you live and fill out a form.

Documents you need to provide in order to get the APL:

  • A copy of your rental agreement
  • Proof of your rental payment
  • A copy of your electrical bill
  • A copy of your student visa
  • A copy of your passport
  • Results of a medical visit showing that you are in good health
  • A birth certificate translated into French (consult your Embassy)
  • Proof of a bank account
  • Copy of your tax return filed in France (proof of revenues

Searching for accommodation?

Use our dedicated housing platform With our partner Studapart, access hundreds of exclusive offers: studios, flatshares, homestays… and benefit from personalized support throughout your rent!

From applying to booking, take all your steps online on the platform . To get started, click on “Tenant space” and sign up using your school’s login credentials or your personal email address.

Book accommodation online to benefit from the Studapart Guarantee and support from a team of multilingual experts available 6/7d. 

You don’t have a guarantor living in France?

Studapart can replace your guarantor over the whole duration of your stay. 

A guarantor is a person bringing financial security and attesting you are creditworthy. It’s difficult to rent a place in France without a French guarantor. In most cases, student residences and landlords require that your guarantor earns income in France.

You can get the Studapart Guarantee directly on the platform and add it to your rental application to find accommodation on the Studapart platform or anywhere else!

A question ? Send us an email at ?

V. Transportation in Paris

The Paris local transport system provides travel by metro, RER, bus and tram. Public transportation normally operates between 5 30 am to 1 am every day, except on Fridays and Saturdays when the Metro stays open till 2 am. You have many applications that you can download on your mobile to have the exact schedule and timing of the metro.

Metro Tickets
Students may opt to buy one metro ticket or 10 tickets in a "carnet" at a reduced price. The price of the ticket depends on the zone you need to go. A single ticket is valid for only one direction and can be used to make a transfer within the metro system.

Navigo Pass

This is a monthly pass, allowing you to benefit from unlimited travel within Paris, and the suburbs if needed. The pass is valid with any public transportation, bus or metro. The Navigo also offers an annual option, where one can pay in monthly installments. The advantage of this type of pass is that it can be replaced at no additional fee if lost or stolen.  For more information visit an RATP Agency near you.

Carte Imagine'R

If you are under 26 years old you can benefit from a year's student transport pass. This card is 50% cheaper than the normal Navigo Pass. The pass also gives you preferential movie rates and store reductions. Subscription is available only from August to January as this is when the French school year begins. For more information ask for an Imagine R dossier at any metro station or visit their website

VI. Health insurance

France’s healthcare system is recognized as one of the world’s best public healthcare services. 

Health insurance is obligatory for all students under the age of 28, and students must be covered for the duration of their studies in France.

Students from outside the EAA will have to subscribe the French national social security system for students. The student health insurance fee is approximately €213 per year, and this must be paid at the beginning of the school year.

The Atelier Chardon Savard team will provide you with the necessary forms to complete and will assist you with the administrative procedures.